5 eCommerce Development Strategies for Building a Great eCommerce Website

It’s undeniable that eCommerce is the most important business trend of the last 20 years, and soon so much of the world’s retail and B2B business will done online that there will no longer be a need for the term. eCommerce will simply become the new definition of “Commerce.” Accordingly, there are a large number of eCommerce start-ups entering into the business every single day. Trends continue to change rapidly, and business will not proceed in the same way for those who continue to rely on old fashioned eCommerce websites. As competition increases in every sector of online business, solid eCommerce development strategies play a vital role in achieving business success. Especially in the development phase, it is essential to take additional care.

Here are five key development strategies that you should understand before diving into the eCommerce space.

1.Content flow – We all know that the success of any eCommerce business is based on getting a user to proceed to the checkout page. All that you can show to the buyer is a virtual store and digital version of products. If you make sure the whole shopping cycle is set up in an appropriate way on your portal, you will undoubtedly receive significant business.

Typically eCommerce is all about offering value through your website content. You will have to remember that you are selling a product to the buyer just by showing the associated media content and information about a product, so make sure you have a proper content flow by drafting a sample template that talks about what content needs to be placed where.

2.Functional Flow – Placement of content in the right direction is one part and making sure that your website has very easy usability for users is the key. You need show the content that user is looking for so be sure to include a robust search box on every page including the following important features: quick buy, filters, product sorting, view shuffle, related products, etc.


Apart from these factors, you should also think about shipping cost estimation, scheduled delivery, product reviews, one-click-pop-up view about return policy and more. You must make sure you have covered all the required functionalities before moving to the next step.

3.Integration Flow – Another crucial part of a successful eCommerce development strategy is Integration with various services like CRM, Web Analytics, Payment Gateways, a Vendor Management System, Logistics Tracker, Multi Currency and others, to ensure smooth operation of your business.


Be choosy and specific, as prioritizing integration services is essential as you might lose lot of money, time and energy by choosing some ineffective integrations. So make sure you select only required and effective integrations.

4.Find a Good CMS – Now you have all of your requirements written down, you should do some research on your own or take some help from a consultant on what Content Management System will best suit your requirements.

There are plenty of Open Source Content Management Systems like Magento, Open Cart, Big Commerce and Shopify, etc. Your eCommerce development strategy is primarily influenced by the choice of an eCommerce platform.



Even if the CMS is able to meet 80% of your requirements you can opt for it, and then develop the remaining 20% on your Own.

5.Find a Good Development Service –No Matter which CMS you choose, and regardless of how you choose to configure it, you will need experts hand to develop a great eCommerce website. A reliable development partner can increase your fortune. Find a development service based company who has a solid portfolio and is reliable.

Choosing a development partner who has expertise in CSS, PHP, Java, HTML 5, Mobile Development and other web technologies will help you to build eCommerce portal as you desire and that is up to date with the current trends. Your development partner should be like an advisor to you, so select a development company who is on the cutting edge of technology, and can help successfully implement your eCommerce development strategy.

Exinent has been in the forefront of Magento Consulting, Development, Migration, Support, and Maintenance since the past decade. We have successfully scripted success stories for hundreds of eCommerce stores. If you wish to discuss on Custom Magento Development, Migration, Consulting, Security and Audit services, do Contact Us and we will be glad to help you.


By ,

Ram Bayisetty